The Chudnow Museum is housed in an 1869 residence in Milwaukee, WI. The house, made of cream city brick, was formerly a clinic and home of Dr. Joseph J. Eisenberg. Dr. Eisenberg lived and worked in this home during the 1920’s. It has been rumored that he did experimental surgical procedures on animals on the 3rd Floor of the house. The 3rd Floor is now used for cataloging the collections of artifacts used in the museum exhibits. Sometimes people that work on the 3rd Floor claim to hear strange noises coming from the rooms.
Avrum (Abe) Chudnow bought the house in 1966 and housed his law office and management company in it. The house also held his extensive collection of artifacts from the late 1800’s through 1970 which make up the exhibits of the museum today.
In 1991 Mr. Chudnow created the Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear and hired a curator to come to the office and begin cataloging all the items in the museum.
Upon his passing in 2005 his family followed through with his wish to create a permanent museum. Remodeling on the house began in 2011 and was completed in 2012. The museum displays the wonderful collection Mr. Chudnow put together through exhibits and displays what life was like in Milwaukee in the 1920’s and 1930’s.